Welcome to my contributor Betsy from BMoore Healthy as she shares her recipe for Horseradish Kale Salmon Patties.
Hi, I’m Betsy and I’m always looking for ways to incorporate more veggies into my meals. Also, I am always trying to get my husband and my two daughters to try new foods. I am a big believer that food is supposed to be enjoyable – even healthy food! For some reason, if I put food into patty form, my family goes nuts and gobbles it all up. Win for me. Therefore, I pack all kind of healthy goodness into patties and keep my fingers crossed that they go over well.
These patties are one of those recipes that you can make a bunch of and have lunch ready to go for a couple of days. We love to have salmon patties with homemade sweet potato fries.
- 1 large can of salmon, wild (14.75 oz) I like Wild Planet brand
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- ½ cup kale, chopped
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 2 tablespoons horseradish, minced
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Saute onions and garlic in 1 tablespoon olive oil until soft.
- Drain liquid from the salmon.Debone if necessary.
- Combine salmon, sautéed onion and garlic, kale, breadcrumbs, parsley, eggs, mustard, horseradish, salt, and pepper.
- Form mixture into patties.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Brown salmon patties on both sides (about 4-5 minutes per side).
- Place cooked patties on a paper towl to absorb excess oil. Serve with extra mustard on top, if desired.
There really is no one way to make salmon patties. This meal is a great way to use up extra veggies that need to be used up. I have added mushrooms, leftover quinoa and lentils, cauliflower and even sweet potato chunks! Get creative. Leftover Rainbow Veggie Cauliflower “Rice” could even be used up in these salmon patties.
When putting together meals, try to focus on a good quality protein – like wild salmon – and think about how you can add veggies to it. Fresh herbs add a ton of flavor. Fresh dill is also incredibly good in salmon patties. Don’t love salmon? Try with canned chicken or even leftover roasted chicken.
Get creative and put salmon patties on your meal plan for this week. Your family will thank you. Be sure and come visit me on Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest for more recipes and healthy ideas! Keep in touch. Thanks to Emily for letting me share this recipe with you all.