Warm up with a bowl of this delicious Creamy Baked Potato Soup. No chopping or peeling of potatoes required! Just a little prep for a delicious dinner!
It is so cold out y’all. We had our first (and hopefully only) snow of the season and I’m good with it being the last. K has officially seen her first snow and she was not impressed. This is a kid who smiles ALL the time but we took her out in the snow and she would not crack a smile. We were cracking up at her. I’m totally with her. Bring me spring, summer or fall but winter is not my jam.
When it’s cold outside I have certain comfort foods I have to make and one of them is of course soup. Not only soup but I love potato soup. This Baked Potato Soup is a new recipe we’ve started making and I love it for a few reasons. First it doesn’t involve peeling and chopping the potatoes since you bake them, so much easier. Second, it doesn’t have any canned soups in it and third it’s so delicious.
I’ve already made this Baked Potato Soup a few times since winter has come around. I made it for my sister’s birthday dinner and she loved it, my nephew was gobbling it down as well. It’s perfect served with warm homemade bread and topped with extra cheese and bacon.
-4 large baking potatoes
-2/3 cup butter or margarine
-2/3 cup all purpose flour
-6 cups milk, warmed
-3/4 tsp. salt
-1/2 tsp. pepper
-4 green onions, chopped
-1 cup cooked crisp bacon, crumbled
-1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
-1 8oz. carton sour cream
1. Bake potatoes and let cool
2. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out pulp into a large bowl
3. Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat
4. Add flour to butter and smooth until smooth
5. Cook flour and butter for 1 minute, stirring constantly
6. Heat up milk in a small saucepan then add gradually to the flour and butter mixture
7. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thick and bubbly
8. Add potato pulp, sat, pepper, 2 Tablespoons green onions, 1/2 cup bacon and 1 cup of cheese
9. Cook until throughly heated and then stir in sour cream. Add extra milk if needed.
10. Serve garnished with remaining onion, bacon and cheese.
This Baked Potato Soup is definitely my new favorite way to enjoy potato soup. It is thick, creamy and the perfect way to warm up on a cold winter night.
- 4 large baking potatoes
- ⅔ cup butter or margarine
- ⅔ cup all purpose flour
- 6 cups milk, warmed
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup cooked crisp bacon, crumbled
- 1½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 8oz. carton sour cream
- Bake potatoes and let cool
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out pulp into a large bowl
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat
- Add flour to butter and smooth until smooth
- Cook flour and butter for 1 minute, stirring constantly
- Heat up milk in a small saucepan then add gradually to the flour and butter mixture
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thick and bubbly
- Add potato pulp, sat, pepper, 2 Tablespoons green onions, ½ cup bacon and 1 cup of cheese
- Cook until throughly heated and then stir in sour cream. Add extra milk if needed.
- Serve garnished with remaining onion, bacon and cheese.
Do you have a favorite soup for a cold winter night?