Please welcome my contributor Jessica from Together as Family sharing her recipe for Strawberry Pizza!
Hey!!! 🙂 I’m so happy to be back here with you all. Can you believe that summer is almost over, or maybe it’s already over for some of you?! I can’t. I think I may be in slight denial about my oldest starting kindergarten this week. I am so excited for him because he has been “stuck” here at home with 3 girls; me and his two younger sisters. At the same time, I am so nervous to not have him with me all day. I will be a mess that day! I am sure if you drive by my house I will be looking out the window waiting for the bus to drop him off.
With summer coming to a close I wanted to hurry and share this insanely delicious strawberry pizza. I hope I’m not too late with a strawberry recipe. I love eating and baking with strawberries year round, so hopefully y’all feel the same way too 🙂
This pizza reminds me of strawberry shortcake. It has a sweet sugar cookie type “crust”, and a smooth creamy middle, and then it’s topped with fresh strawberries that are covered in a homemade strawberry sauce. It’s really good and surprisingly, simple to make.
– Plan ahead a bit. The dough for the crust has to sit in the fridge for an hour before shaping and baking. The strawberry sauce has to cool down before adding in the berries and spreading on top. And, the berries have to sit in the sugar to form the juice. Sounds complicated, but it all comes together quite easy.
– Make sure your crust is cooled completely before layering anything else on it.
– Store the pizza in the fridge before eating. It was much better after it had been chilled for an hour. Or, you could make the 3 different components; crust, cream filling, and strawberry sauce and store them in the fridge and then make the pizza when you want to serve it.
– I overcooked my gelatin mixture so it turned out a bit thick. Don’t worry if that happens to yours. Once you mix in the strawberries it will loosen up a bit and be just fine. Try not to get your gelatin to the point that it looks like “vaseline”. Gross, I know, sorry! But, it’s the best way I can think of to explain it to you. Mine was that consistency but it still turned out fine.
– This is not one of those desserts that you can keep around for a few days while you try to finish it off. It needs to be eaten within several hours of making it. We had some leftovers and I tried some the day after, and while it was still good, the crust tends to soak up some of the strawberry juice so it was a bit softer. That certainly did no stop us from finishing it off 😉
– I shaped my “pizza dough” into a 12″ circle on a cookie sheet (half sheet/jelly roll pan). It does not spread and will hold that shape.
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cream layer
- 8 oz (1 block) cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Strawberry sauce
- 4 cups sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- To make the crust:
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Stir in dry ingredients.
- Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Press the dough into a 12″ circle on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- To make the cream layer:
- Beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
- Spread over the cooled crust.
- To make the strawberry sauce:
- Combine strawberries and 1/2 cup sugar and let sit at room temperature for 30-60 minutes or until sugar is totally dissolved and turned to juice.
- Drain all of the juice from the berries and measure out 1/2 cup of it and set aside.
- Measure the cornstarch into a saucepan and slowly whisk in the reserved 1/2 cup strawberry juice. Whisk until smooth.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Boil for 1-2 minutes, or until thickened.
- Cool to room temperature and fold in the sliced berries.
- Use a slotted spoon to put the strawberry sauce on top of the cream filling.
I hope you lovely readers get a chance to make this! It’s a fun dessert and kids and adults are bound to love it! Who wouldn’t love a sugar cookie crust pizza topped with sweet strawberries and a creamy middle?! 🙂
Thank you so much for having me today. Come visit me at Together as Family 🙂 I’d love to have you all!