Take a classic dessert and add some apples to make a delicious treat with these Apple Pie Shortcakes
I love strawberry shortcake, well the shortcake and whipped cream part. I’m not a big fan of strawberries so anytime someone is serving strawberry shortcake I opt to have mine without the strawberries. Since I love the shortcakes and whipped cream I decided to take my favorite fruit, apples, and create these Apple Pie Shortcakes.
I love using Bisquick at home to make different things. I make their biscuit recipe multiple times a week. I also love their recipe for shortcakes. Believe it or not my husband had only ever had those store bought shortcakes. I couldn’t believe it so I knew I had to make him some Bisquick shortcakes. I changed the recipe a little bit, partly due to my own error, but the result was sweet and delicious so I went with it.
I decided to use apple pie filling for these Apple Pie Shortcakes mainly due to my own laziness and the fact that I made these before all those really good fall apples started appearing in stores. I’m sure if you wanted to you could create your own apple filling for these shortcakes but I opted to make it a quick and easy dessert because that’s something we all need!
– 2 1/3 cups Original Bisquick Mix
– 1/2 cup sugar
– 3/4 cup milk
– 3 Tablespoon margarine or butter, melted
– 1 pint heavy whipping cream
– 3-4 Tablespoons sugar
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
– 1 can apple pie filling
1. Began by mixing together the Bisquick, 1/2 cup sugar, milk and margarine until you have a soft dough.
2. Drop the dough by spoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet
3. Bake at 425 for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown on top
4. Add heavy whipping cream to a mixer and mix until thickened, adding sugar as needed to desired sweetness
5. Add vanilla to the whipping cream and mix in
6. Cut open shortcakes and place apple pie filling inside and then top with the whipped cream
7. Serve warm and enjoy!
I loved how these turned out, I couldn’t stop snacking on them while I was making them and after I took the photos. The combination of the shortcakes with the apples and whipped cream topping was so delicious. I didn’t have enough patience for my whipping cream to get very thick but I kind of prefer it that way. It saturated the shortcake and made it so delicious. I’d love to hear if you’ve tried shortcakes another way other than with strawberries?
- 2 1/3 cups Original Bisquick Mix
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 Tablespoon margarine or butter, melted
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 3-4 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 can apple pie filling
- Began by mixing together the Bisquick, 1/2 cup sugar, milk and margarine until you have a soft dough.
- Drop the dough by spoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet
- Bake at 425 for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown on top
- Add heavy whipping cream to a mixer and mix until thickened, adding sugar as needed to desired sweetness
- Add vanilla to the whipping cream and mix in
- Cut open shortcakes and place apple pie filling inside and then top with the whipped cream
- Serve warm and enjoy!