Moving is something I have done a lot of in the past 5 years. Most of them were little moves since I lived in very small spaces for a few years while I was a nanny. But this move from Virginia to Tennessee was a big one, our first big one. I wanted to share 6 Essential Moving Tips that we learned as the start to our New Year/New House series. I can’t wait to share our journey from moving to remodeling our new house!
1. Research movers– a great price on a mover doesn’t always mean reliability and a safe move. Read reviews and prices on movers and make sure they are licensed and insured. Also ask friends and family for suggestions if they are in the area.
2. Purge– Do your best to clean out junk before your move so when you’re unpacking you aren’t searching for places to put stuff that you will never use. Moving is a great time to a great big clean out.
3. Plan, Plan, Plan!– Think about where you will be when your stuff is in transition. What will you need during that time? Also is your stuff going to be in storage for awhile? Ours was and I should have planned better about what I would need during that time and also what you will need first when you move into your new place. We were digging through boxes in the storage unit for Tyler’s dress shoes and my dress for a wedding.
4. Cleaning Supplies– keep out your cleaning supplies! Unless you’re having your place professionally cleaned then you will need to keep out your cleaning supplies and vacuum. You will want these so you are able to clean your place once it is empty.
5. Forward your mail– Don’t forget to get your mail forwarded to your new address. There is so much to do when moving so don’t forget this small but important detail.
6. Upkeep on your place– Make sure you have someone lined up to keep an eye on your place until it sells. Have someone cut the grass, check for any mail that didn’t forward and just keep a general eye on your house.
From your experience, what would you add to this list?